A few weeks ago I told you about some fun places to snag free embroidery patterns. The little tea kettle pattern from Misako Mimoko was my very favorite of the bunch. I loved it so much I decided to make it into a little doll for Tallulah. Today on I Love to Create I am going to show you how you can take an embroidery pattern and make it into an embroidered plushie.
Aleene’s Tack-It Over & Over
Embroidery Floss and Needle
Fiberfill or Cotton Stuffing
Medium weight interfacing
Crafty Chica Fabric Markers
First you will need to choose a pattern that lends it’s self to being a doll. As mentioned I chose Misako Mimoko’s teapot pattern. I printed out the pattern and blew it up on my computer to make it more doll size. After that using tracing paper I transferred the image to a piece of white fabric.
I decided that not only was I going to make this little embroidered cutie into a doll. I was going to make it into an appliquéd doll. First I chose the fabrics I wanted to work with. Next using my tracing paper and the pattern I cut out Mr. teapots clothing. Using Aleene’s Tack-It Over and Over I glued my appliqué pieces in place.
Once the glue had set I put my pattern into my embroidery hoop and got busy stitching.
Since my satin stitch is not all that great I opted for using a Crafty Chica fabric marker to fill in his eyes instead.
Now that my pattern was completely embroidered it was time to make my doll. I cut out my tea pot and a piece for the backside of my doll. I ironed on medium weight interfacing to both sides to give my doll a bit more body. After this was complete I pinned the two right sides together so that the interfaced sides were facing out.
Once the doll was pinned all the way around I took my scissors and clipped the edges. After this step I took the doll to my sewing machine and stitched all the way around except for a small 2” hole at the bottom being sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of my stitching. Using pliers and a knitting needle I turned my doll rightside out and stuffed with poly-fil. After the doll was completely stuffed using a needle and thread I stitched up the small hole.
All that was left to do was give Tallulah her new doll. We sing "I'm a Little Teapot" when we play with the doll.
After the Mr. Teapot I went on to make a doll out of the Orange You Lucky Bunny and was inspired by Lotta Jansdotter: Simple Sewing for Babies Soft Letters Project. Check out my handy work...